This easy vegan roasted sweet potato arugula salad is versatile, flavorful and bursting with color! Perfect for seasonal dinners or meal prep.
Sweet potatoes are one of our favorite veggies ever! They can be added to sweet or savory recipes and taste especially well in fresh green salads!
Heavenly roasted sweet potato cubes, fresh arugula, protein-packed beans, crunchy fresh veggies and a simple homemade sauce join forces to create one fantastic and flavorful plant-based dinner.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
This sweet potato arugula salad is the perfect example of how you can make salad the main occasion by using really hearty ingredients!
- Customizable & budget-friendly
- Versatile, colorful and bursting with nutrients
- Creamy, crunchy and everything in between
- Perfect for meal prep and to-go lunches
- Savory, satiating and exciting
- An explosion of flavors and textures
You know you’re about to make a really good salad if it features roasted sweet potatoes and earthy lima beans!
- Sweet Potatoes — cozily spiced, they are baked to be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Lima Beans — anything from navy beans to chickpeas tastes great in this salad.
- Bell pepper, radishes & onion — our crunchy and flavorful veggies of choice to spice this salad up nicely and add lots of color and nutrition.
- Arugula — balances out the sweetness from the potatoes.
- Creamy balsamic date dressing
Find the exact amounts in the recipe card below and feel free to adjust the ratios to your preference!
How to make sweet potato arugula salad
Preheat your oven and get your ingredients ready by draining, washing and chopping them
Toss the sweet potato cubes with spices and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
Combine all raw veggies in a large salad bowl and mix them with a wooden spoon.
Make the dressing by adding mustard, vinegar, pitted dates, soy milk, salt and cayenne to a blender. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste preferences.
Remove the roasted sweet potato cubes once they have become slightly brown, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Put them on top of your veggies in the bowl.
Add canned beans and dressing and combine all ingredients well with a spoon.
Enjoy warm and add any toppings of your choice such as nuts, seeds or avocado!
Storage & serving suggestions
Any leftovers can be stored in a lidded container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If making this sweet potato salad as part of your meal prep, store the dressing separately from the other components and add it just before serving.
It can also be paired with bread or made heartier by adding pre-cooked grains like quinoa, bulgur or farro.
Tips for this recipe
A lot of vegan dressings taste fantastic with this salad! Here are more ideas:
Feel free to use any leafy greens like spinach, romaine or lettuce, instead of arugula for this salad.
Top with fresh herbs, roasted beans, pumpkin seeds, fruit, avocado or croutons if you like!
If you don’t have a blender to make the dressing, swap the dates for 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
Feel free to roast the onion instead of eating it raw.
More vegan salads
Enjoy more delicious plant-based meals by making some of the following recipes!
Did you make our recipe and like it? Please share with us in the comments below and leave a rating. Make sure to Pin the salad here!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (600 g)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula (40 g), thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups cooked lima beans (280 g), drained & rinsed
- 1 batch balsamic date dressing
Roast sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato cubes with smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are nicely browned and fork-tender.
- In the meantime, combine onion, bell pepper, arugula and beans in a large salad bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide & assemble
- Once all ingredients are ready, toss the salad with the dressing and top with roasted sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
- We adding some fruit like chopped apples, pears or dates in this salad!
- Optional toppings include sliced avocado, pumpkin or sunflower seeds and walnuts.
- If you don’t have any dates to make the dressing, use one tablespoon of maple syrup instead.
- Fresh and dried herbs like basil or thyme taste lovely in this salad, too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 627mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 23gSugar: 26gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!