This healthy cashew sour cream is rich, tangy and super creamy! Really easy to make with 5 basic ingredients in 5 minutes, this vegan dip perfectly complements any savory Mexican dish, baked goods and salads.
Delicious condiments definitely have the power to bring simple components together into one awesome meal.
This easy vegan cashew sour cream is no different! You will be amazed at how simple it is to make your own dairy-free dip at home — and oh, that flavor!
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Definitely cheaper compared to store-bought versions, our cashew sour cream recipe requires only 5 whole food plant-based ingredients!
Plus, it will keep in your fridge for up to 5 days — if you or your family won’t have used it up the same day, that is (no guarantee).
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Creamy, tangy & salty
- Dairy-free & vegan
- Healthy & whole food plant-based
- Super versatile and delicious
- Easy to make in 5 minutes
Sounds good? In terms of kitchen tools, all you need is a high-speed blender and bowl for soaking your cashews.
- Raw cashews — soaked for at least an hour if possible, better overnight.
- Lemon juice — fresh works best for this recipe
- Apple cider vinegar — adding that delicious tanginess!
- Nutritional yeast — our favorite component for most vegan dairy replacements!
- Salt — just add to taste and dietary preference.
You can find the exact amounts in the recipe card below. If you have any questions about these ingredients and possible adjustments, I’ll share more about them in a bit!
Here’s how easy it is to make your own vegan cashew sour cream.
How to make cashew sour cream
Soak the raw cashews
While it is not 100% necessary, we recommend that you soak your cashews before processing them. It helps soften them up to ensure a creamy texture — especially if your blender isn’t quite “high-speed”.
There are two main ways you can go about this!
- Put your cashews in a small bowl and cover them with water for at least an hour, better overnight. When you soak them for a few hours or more, put them in the fridge.
- If you’re short on time, put the cashews in a small bowl and pour hot water over them. Let the raw cashews soak for 10-15 minutes, then drain them well.
Add to your blender
Drain the soaked cashews and add them to your blender jar together with the rest of the ingredients.
You can start with a little less than the recommended amounts and give it a taste test before ending up with too sour or salty sour cream.
Blend & adjust
Process all ingredients until creamy and smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Get a small spoon and taste test! Not salty or tangy enough? Add some more of the respective ingredients.
Storage & serving suggestions
The freshly made vegan cashew sour cream can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. It will become a bit thicker after a while when cooled.
The sour cream can also be frozen and then thawed in the fridge overnight at your convenience.
Tips & adjustments
Can I make this nut-free?
Yes, there are different ways of making your own homemade vegan sour cream! Using cashews is just one of them, you can use sunflower seeds, tahini or silken tofu instead.
Please be aware that we can’t tell you the exact amounts for each replacement but we’re positive you’ll figure it out as you go!
More flavor options
Add some fresh minced garlic, onion powder, ground cumin, black pepper, hot or smoked paprika or finely chopped fresh herbs like dill and cilantro.
Try 1-2 tablespoons of dairy-free unsweetened yogurt for a lighter and tangier version or 1 tablespoon dijon mustard!
I don’t have a high-speed blender
Make this cashew sour cream in your personal blender or food processor instead! It won’t be quite as smooth and creamy but still worth making.
More easy vegan condiments
Did you make our vegan cashew sour cream? We’d love to read about it, so be sure to leave a review and tell us more in the comments below. You can also Pin this recipe here!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked & drained (120 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup water (80 ml)
- Pinch of salt
- Drain your soaked cashews well and place them in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few times, then blend on high until a homogenous and creamy mixture is formed.
- Taste test with a small spoon and adjust to your preferences by adding more of any of the components.
- Enjoy your homemade cashew sour cream immediately or transfer it to a sealed container and put it in the fridge. It will become firmer over time and keeps well for 4-5 days.
- Soaking the cashews for a few hours will make your sour cream extra smooth.
- If you’re short on time, use the quick soak method and cover the cashews with hot water for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of non-dairy yogurt for some more tanginess!
- Start with smaller amounts of lemon juice, salt and apple cider vinegar — you can always add more after blending and taste testing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ¼ recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 37mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!