These easy and healthy vegan buffalo cauliflower wings are the perfect meatless appetizer! A true hit at any picnic or party, they are kid-friendly & crowd-pleasing finger food. Try these crispy and tender bites with dips of your choice!
Who thought flavorful could be so flavorful and fun? Our delicious vegan chicken wings are a true hit with kids and the perfect meatless appetizer.
Even if you’ve never been keen on cauliflower, we are positive that our vegan chicken wings can completely change your relationship with this cruciferous vegetable!
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
The secret is to double coat them with lots of delicious spices and textures! Nobody will miss the real chicken wings.
Why you’ll love them
Everyone can eat up on these healthy vegan chicken wings without checking for serving sizes! They are just so delicious and good for you.
- Cauliflower – this humble veggie can turn beautifully tender when baked
- Chickpea Flour – the gluten-free & high-protein base for our flavorful batter
- Plant-Based Milk – to make the batter nice and creamy; use your favorite.
- Spices – garlic, cumin, paprika and salt are needed for the batter
- Cornflakes – for the optional, yet highly recommended, crispy coating!
- Buffalo Sauce – we’ll provide you with a healthy and easy homemade recipe, but you can use any store-bought variety you like.
In terms of kitchen equipment, you’ll need a baking sheet, parchment paper, two bowls, measuring equipment, blender, knife and cutting board.
How to make vegan chicken wings
Prepare your ingredients
Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Follow our recipe for homemade buffalo sauce (it’s a 5-minute blender recipe) or get any vegan store-bought hot sauce or buffalo sauce.
Preheat your oven to 450°F / 230°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the batter
Add all dry ingredients for the batter to a medium-sized bowl. Mix to combine, then add soy milk. Whisk until there are no lumps left.
Coat the cauliflower
Dip the cauliflower pieces into the batter one by one. Make sure they are coated evenly and shake off any excess batter!
Next station is a shallow bowl with crumbled cornflakes: coat the battered cauliflower bites evenly, then line them next to each other on a prepared baking sheet without touching each other.
Bake & double coat
Once the battered cauliflower wings have been baked for 20 minutes, drown them in buffalo sauce and mix with a spoon.
Place them back into the oven for 10 more minutes and let them cool slightly before enjoying!
Storage & serving suggestions
These vegan chicken wings taste best fresh out of the oven and a few hours later. But you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days!
Reheat them in the oven or a toaster oven to re-crisp them at your convenience.
Tasty dips for vegan wings
Tips & adjustments
Don’t cut the cauliflower into very small florets or they will burn! Try to make them about the same size as traditional chicken wings.
You can also make the wings spicier by adding more chili powder!
Be sure to use parchment paper because the batter will stick to anything you place the wings on.
Here are some easy swaps you can make to create the perfect vegan chicken wings that suit your needs.
- Chickpea flour: use all-purpose flour or swap for almond flour to reduce carbs
- Soy milk: any unflavored plant-based milk or even water works
- Cornflakes: use breadcrumbs or omit for a quicker, lower calorie version
More delicious vegan sides
If you liked this recipe, try the following plant-based goodness next!
Did you make our vegan wings and like them? Let us know in the comments, leave a rating and be sure to Pin the recipe here.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 recipe Buffalo Sauce
- 3 cups unsweetened cornflakes (90 g)
- 1 cup chickpea flour (90 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup soy milk (240 ml), unflavored
- Carrot, celery and zucchini sticks
- Vegan ranch dip
- Add all dry ingredients for the batter into a medium-sized bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the soy milk and whisk until smooth. The batter should be thick and not drip – adjust soy milk and flour if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F / 230°C. Cut or break the cauliflower into bite-size florets and crumble the corn flakes finely into a bowl so they resemble bread crumbs.
- Dip the cauliflower pieces in the batter so that they’re evenly covered (shake off any excess batter), then coat them with the corn flakes crumbs and lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (this is important so they don’t stick). Make sure to leave a little bit of space between the cauliflower pieces.
- Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- When this time has elapsed, take the cauliflower florets out of the oven and scrape them off into a large bowl.
- Pour buffalo sauce over the baked cauliflower, coat the florets with the sauce and mix them with a spoon. Put them back on the parchment paper and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until the cauliflower wings are crisp and browned.
- Once the buffalo cauliflower wings have been baked, let them cool slightly and serve warm with some vegan ranch dip as well as some celery, zucchini and carrot sticks.
- Make sure to shake off any excess batter or they won’t crisp up!
- Adding the cornflake coating isn’t 100% necessary but is highly recommended.
- This recipe also works with BBQ sauce or hot sauce instead of buffalo sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1321mgCarbohydrates: 49gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 8gSugar: 13gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!