The plant-based cuisine is more versatile and simple than most people think. In their minds, it’s often just oatmeal or salad sprinkled with some “fake meat” or “fake cheese”. Granted, that doesn’t sound appealing – and it’s also far from the truth. What if your favorite meal could be made entirely from plants and you wouldn’t have to miss out at all? That’s where our vegan bean burrito recipe comes into play.
Who doesn’t love these rich and hearty Mexican meals filled with spicy sauces, rice, corn, and guacamole? It’s just the perfect balance between crunchy, soft, hot, creamy, and filling.
An even healthier version is possible when you go for homemade ones. Most of the ingredients can be bought ready-made and you just need to put all of them into your burrito. You have a lot of options here to modify the recipe depending on your taste preference and what you already have at home.
Ingredients for Our Bean Burrito
- Rice (brown, white, black, or red)
- Beans (kidney, black, pinto, white, or chickpeas)
- Sauce (salsa, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, or tomato paste)
- Toppings (corn, avocado, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, tofu, peppers, vegan cheese, vegan yogurt, cilantro, bell pepper, onion, or green onion)
This simple vegan bean burrito recipe is perfect when you have a couple of leftovers, especially rice, on hand. If that’s not the case, you need to cook it first and let it cool a little before assembling your burrito. Like we said above, you could just freestyle with your ingredients of choice or stick to our favorite and simple version.
If you have a little more time, you can make your own tortillas at home – or just go for store-bought ones for more convenience. You are basically just looking for something to roll up all the goodness in!
You could basically eat them right after rolling if you wanted! But for us, the magic happens in the pan where everything gets heated or grilled! If your kitchen is well-equipped, you could use a grill pan or panini press here, as well. But we’re just not as fancy and get out our humble pan for this! Works like a charm when you put a small lid or something similar on top of the burritos to press them down a little.
They are very convenient and you could take them with you for lunch or bring to a dinner party when you assume that there won’t be any vegan food for you. But don’t forget to whip up a few extra ones since most people cannot resist trying these! Especially meat lovers will dig this texture and the awesome flavor combination.
Needless to say, our vegan bean burrito recipe is full of all the goodness you’ll need: whole grains, protein- and fiber-rich beans, whole fats, and some greens. That’s where vegans get most of their essential nutrients and that’s how you create a well-rounded meal that’s super satisfying.
And a little hint for those who want it even more convenient: make a burrito bowl by just throwing all of the fillings together onto a plate without wrapping it up! Goes a long way when you’re really busy or tired at night. But for now, let’s see how our delicious burritos are made!
Have you been trying our easy bean burritos? What is your favorite filling or customization? Let us know in the comments below and feel free to rate our recipe, Pin it for later and tag us on IG if you make it!
Vegan Bean Burritos
Tortillas (can swap for store-bought)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (120 g)
- ⅓ cup water (80ml)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz salsa (oil-free & low sugar if possible) (80 g)
- ½ cup kidney beans or black beans (80 g)
- ½ green onion, finely chopped
- salt, pepper, cayenne
- 2 tbsp brown rice, cooked
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tsp corn kernels
- 2 leaves lettuce, shredded
- ½ medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 3 tbsp red bell pepper, sliced (20 g)
For the tortillas
- Combine flour, water, and salt in a bowl and knead well. Add more water or flour if needed to help make the consistency like that of bread dough. Knead on a floured surface until soft.
- Divide dough into 2 even balls, then roll each ball as flat as you can on a floured surface into the shape of the tortilla. Use your hands and/or a rolling pin.
- Use a non-stick skillet and heat your stovetop to medium-high heat. Place tortilla in your heated pan for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until it starts to bubble and turn brown, then turn it over.
- Repeat until all tortillas are done from both sides. Let cool a little before filling.
For the filling
- Mix together the salsa, beans, and green onion and mash slightly with a fork. You don't need to overdo it - it's fine when some of the beans retain their texture.
- Season the mix with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Fill each tortilla with half of the salsa, bean, green onion mixture as well as half of the brown rice, avocado, corn, lettuce, tomato, and bell pepper. Make sure they're not too full so that you can still roll them.
Assemble bean burrito
- Fold in the sides and roll into tight burritos closed on all sides.
- Place them seam side down into a frying pan and grill over medium-high heat for around 3-5 minutes until brown and crispy. Flip around and grill for another 3-5 minutes. Enjoy with some more salsa, soy yogurt, or guacamole!