Ready in only 5 minutes, this quick sugar-free ketchup recipe is a true favorite! It couldn’t be easier to make and is so flavorful and healthy.
Who doesn’t love ketchup? Especially kids are usually all over this condiment. Swap the store-bought ketchup for our healthy sugar-free ketchup recipe and make your family really happy.
It requires simple ingredients, can be adjusted to your taste preferences and tastes delicious in so many dishes!
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
There’s even a version for those who don’t own a blender — but if you have access to one, we highly recommend using dates and sundried tomatoes for that rich taste and great nutrition value.
Find out if all ketchup is vegan here and enjoy our quick recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make in only 5 minutes
- Kid-friendly and healthy
- Perfect for dipping
- Low in calories & sugar-free
- Flavorful, sweet & tangy
Let your kids load up on this healthy dip without thinking twice!
- Tomato paste — our easy homemade ketchup base.
- Dates — soaked & pureed for a healthy sweetener!
- Sundried tomatoes — adding lots of deep flavor!
- Vinegar — for that tasty zing.
- Garlic & onion — must-have delicious savory spices!
- Salt — adjust to your taste preferences.
- Paprika powder — choose between mild or spicy!
- Cinnamon — just a pinch to round up all the flavors
You’ll need a small blender to break the sundried tomatoes and dates down into a paste. If you don’t have access to one, find our recipe adjustments below!
How to make sugar-free ketchup
We’ll use healthy dates to sweeten our vegan homemade ketchup, so start by soaking them in warm water.
Add those two ingredients straight to your blender jar alongside some oil-free sundried tomatoes. Since they are dried, we need to soften them up first!
After around 10 minutes, you can add the remaining ingredients and blend until you’ve created smooth and tasty ketchup.
Adjust to taste preferences by adding more garlic, vinegar, sweetener, salt or paprika. Enjoy as it is or heat your ketchup on the stove for 5 minutes to let the spices develop a rich flavor!
Storage & serving
Once it has cooled, this dip can be stored in an airtight container or glass jar for 2-4 weeks in the fridge! This makes it perfect for meal prep.
This ketchup can also be frozen in freezer-safe containers for at least 2 months and thawed in the fridge overnight.
Tips & swaps
- Feel free to omit the sundried tomatoes if you’re not a fan of their flavor.
- If you don’t have a blender, use date paste or maple syrup as a sweetener and whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- You can swap the apple cider vinegar for white vinegar and reduce the amount if you don’t want your ketchup to be tangy!
- If you have vegan Worcester sauce on hand, add a spritz to your ketchup!
- Make it completely sugar-free or low-carb by using sugar-free syrup for this recipe.
- If you’re short on time, don’t cook the ketchup and use it right away! If you add it to your chickpea loaf, cooking is not needed.
More easy vegan condiments
Try these healthy condiments next to make your meals taste fantastic!
Have you tried our healthy ketchup recipe and liked it? Let us know in the comments below and rate our recipe! You can also Pin it here or share it with your friends.
- 2 dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste (130 g)
- 3 sundried tomatoes (oil-free), chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- Place the dates, sundried tomatoes and 1 cup of hot water in your blender and let it soak for 10 minutes.
- Once this time has elapsed, blend these components until smooth.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend to create a homogenous mixture. Adjust to taste preferences.
- Use immediately or warm your ketchup on the stove for 5 minutes to let the spices develop a rich flavor!
- Once cooled, store any leftovers in an airtight jar or glass bottle in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.
- If you’re short on time, you can skip the cooking part but it does deepen the flavors.
- This ketchup can be frozen in freezer-safe containers for at least 2 months and thawed in the fridge overnight.
- Find more tips in the article above!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: ⅓ recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!