Try this fall-inspired creamy chocolate porridge with pears, bananas, and nuts! It comes together quickly and is oh-so-comforting.
Some recipes are so delicious that you could eat them for breakfast, snack, and dessert!
This creamy chocolate porridge is one of these fantastic meals. It’s healthy enough to be a filling and nourishing breakfast, but also sweet and decadent, so you can enjoy it as a dessert any time of the day!
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Whenever you feel those chocolate cravings, satisfy your sweet tooth with this wholesome treat.
Since warm and creamy oatmeal tastes especially good during fall and winter, we used crushed nuts, caramelized banana, pear, and almond butter for the topping in the photos.
However, you can simply add your favorite ones!
- Ready in under 15 minutes
- Great for breakfast, snack, or dessert
- Wholesome and indulging
- Packed with nutrients & satiating
- Can be enjoyed year-round
You can keep the toppings really simple and add what you have on hand, or take some extra time to roast nuts and caramelize a banana to make this porridge extra special!
- Rolled oats — hearty, healthy, and filling basis for our porridge.
- Soy milk & water — the cooking liquid; choose any dairy-free milk of your liking.
- Bananas — one is cooked with the oats and the other is used for the topping.
- Spices — cocoa powder, cinnamon, and maple syrup taste delicious!
- Toppings — seasonal fruit (pear), crushed nuts, almond butter, vegan yogurt, and dark chocolate.
Find adjustment ideas for many of these components further down in our article. All you need to make this easy chocolate porridge is a pot, measuring equipment, and a spoon.
How to make chocolate porridge
- Combine all ingredients for the porridge in a medium-sized saucepan: rolled oats, soy milk, water, mashed banana, flax, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Mix until well combined, then cook over medium-high heat until the oatmeal starts to bubble.
- Turn down the heat and let simmer for a few minutes until your desired consistency is reached. Be sure to stir occasionally, so the oatmeal doesn’t burn!
- Divide between serving bowls and decorate with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Storage & serving
You can make larger batches of this chocolate porridge and store any leftovers, once cooled, in an airtight container in the fridge.
It keeps well for 3-5 days. Cooked oatmeal can also be frozen in individual portions for up to 3 months!
Simply reheat it on the stove or in the microwave with an additional splash of soy milk until warm!
Chocolate porridge tastes best freshly cooked with an extra piece or two of dark chocolate on top — it’s heavenly when it melts and mixes with the almond butter.
FAQs & tips
Vegan porridge toppings
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Chia jam
- Date caramel sauce
- Cocoa nibs
- Nut butter
- Shredded coconut
- Dried fruit
Make oatmeal without banana
Our chocolate porridge is sweetened with ripe mashed banana. However, if you don’t like this texture and flavor, simply use chopped dates, applesauce, sugar, or maple syrup instead.
Make it in the microwave
Put the oats, liquid, and spices into a big bowl and mix well with a spoon. Place into your microwave and heat for 2 minutes on high.
Give it a stir, check if you’ve reached the desired consistency, then cook again for 1 minute if needed.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Gluten-free: use gluten-free certified oats.
- Nut-free: sprinkle with chia, pumpkin, or hemp seeds. Omit almond butter.
- Low-calorie: reduce dark chocolate, banana, and/or almond butter.
- High-protein: add vegan chocolate protein powder or our homemade protein blend.
More breakfast recipes
Did you make our recipe and like it? We’d love to read about it, so be sure to leave a review and share it in the comments below. You can also Pin this recipe here!
- 1 cup rolled oats (90 g)
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cups soy milk (360 ml)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, ground
- 1 sliced banana, pan-fried or baked
- 1 pear, sliced
- ⅓ cup crushed nuts, toasted (30 g)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 4 pieces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons soy yogurt
- Combine ingredients for the porridge in a saucepan. Mix well with a spoon and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Then turn down the heat.
- Let the oatmeal simmer and adjust to desired consistency. Stir occasionally.
- Divide between serving bowls and add all toppings! Enjoy.
- Use your favorite plant-based milk for this recipe.
- Choose certified gluten-free oats if needed.
- Make this porridge lower in calories by skipping or reducing the dark chocolate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: ½ recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 12gSugar: 29gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!