Switch up your breakfast routine with these fun vegan sweet potato toasts! Ready in about 15 minutes and great for meal prep, you can add lots of delicious toppings.
If you love vegan toasts as much as you love sweet potatoes, why not combine the two? That’s exactly what we did — because sweet potatoes are the new toast.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
They are great for meal prep, lower in calories and nutrient-packed!
Vegan sweet potato toasts can be prepared in a variety of ways and served with sweet or savory toppings!
Recipe overview & features
- Great gluten-free food swap
- Flavorful & low in calories
- Fun breakfast or brunch idea
- Meal prep-friendly
- Versatile and delicious
These sweet potato toasts are easy to make, kid-friendly and suitable for sustainable weight loss! Here are the steps needed to prepare this unique breakfast idea.
How to make vegan sweet potato toasts
- Peel the sweet potatoes or wash them well and pat them dry.
- Slice them lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices using a sharp knife or mandoline.
- Microwave them wrapped in paper towels for one minute if possible.
- Toast them on medium for a few rounds (5-6 minutes) until tender and slightly brown!
Other cooking methods include baking them in the oven or toaster oven! Find the instructions below.
Storage & reheating
Sweet potato toasts are excellent for meal prep as you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days!
You can either peel and slice the raw sweet potatoes or pre-roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then place the cooled sweet potato slices in a food container. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months!
The sweet potato toasts taste best when they are warm, tender and slightly crunchy!
When they have been pre-cooked, toast your slices for 3-4 minutes before eating. If you toast the raw slices directly, they need a couple of rounds or 12 minutes total!
Serve them for breakfast or brunch with different sweet or savory toppings! Here are our favorite ideas.
- Dairy-free yogurt
- Nut butter
- Date caramel
- Almond ricotta
- Berry chia jam
- Mango chutney
- Vegan feta
- Maple syrup
- Leafy greens
FAQs & tips
How to make sweet potato toasts in the oven
Preheat your oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes in a single layer, then place them in the oven.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the slices are tender and slightly brown!
Tips for cutting sweet potatoes
We suggest you slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise to have more toast-like pieces. However, if they are hard to cut, slice them the other way around!
The smaller and thinner your slices, the quicker they become tender when toasting or baking them.
You can either use a sharp knife or mandoline slicer!
Which sweet potato should I use?
There are different types of sweet potatoes you can buy at the store. For this recipe, we suggest using the orange or red-skinned ones.
If you want to leave the skin on (it becomes really crispy!), look for sweet potatoes with smooth skins and no spots.
Buy large sweet potatoes to create bigger toasts!
Meal prep tips
Just pop your sweet potato slices into the oven while making dinner and pre-roast them for an upcoming breakfast!
This is a super simple meal prep idea. Let them cool completely before storing in a container in the fridge and toast them for a few minutes at your convenience!
More breakfast recipes
If you enjoyed these sweet potato toasts, try these vegan breakfast ideas next!
Did you make our recipe and like it? We’d love to read about it, so be sure to leave a review and share it in the comments below. You can also Pin this recipe here!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (28 oz / 800 g), washed
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup blueberries (75 g)
- 1 small mango, peeled, pitted and cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 4 fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
Hummus Pine Nut
- ½ cup beet hummus (120 g)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Handful sprouts of choice (I used red onion sprouts)
Nut Butter & Pear
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 medium pear, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp hearts
Greens & Beans
- ½ cup cooked cannellini beans (130 g), drained & rinsed
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch sea salt
Tomato & Avocado
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Handful fresh arugula
Make sweet potato toasts
- Peel your sweet potatoes if wanted and trim the ends so they don’t burn.
- Slice them lengthwise into ¼-inch (6-7 mm) slices. Don’t go any thicker than that or the sweet potato won’t cook properly!
- If you have a microwave on hand, place the sweet potato sliced between paper towels and microwave them on high for 1 minute.
- Toast each slice for 5-6 minutes until tender and slightly brown. Depending on your toaster, you might find you’ll need to go for a second round of toasting.
- Top them as desired and enjoy!
Chocolate berry topping
- Add nut butter, maple syrup and cocoa powder to a small bowl. Whisk until completely smooth and creamy.
- Smear a dollop of the chocolate spread onto each piece of sweet potato toast and top with fresh fruit!
Tomato avocado topping
- Add the diced tomato into a bowl with lime juice, pepper and salt. Mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture onto the sweet potato toasts, add the avocado slices and top with arugula.
Other topping ideas
- Spread yogurt, hummus or nut butter onto your sweet potato toast. Top with nuts, seeds, fruit, greens or sprouts as suggested above or get creative!
- You can also bake the sweet potato slices in the oven for 15 minutes at 400° F.
- Be sure the toasts are completely cool when you pre-cook and then store them!
- The toasted slices can also be frozen for up to 3 months in a container.
- Nutrition information has been calculated for chocolate berry version.
- Find more topping ideas in the article above!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 sweet potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!