This easy herbed vegan tofu feta takes only 10 minutes of prep and a handful of budget-friendly staple foods to make! Great for meal prep, salads, appetizers and in main meals!
Love cheese but want to eat a plant-based diet? This herbed vegan tofu feta adds lots of zing and saltiness to your meals without dairy.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Tofu feta is perfect for meal prep because it needs to marinate for 48 hours in the fridge and keeps well for some time after that!
While it doesn’t taste exactly like feta, tofu is a budget-friendly and healthy ingredient you can use to get a similar result!
- 10 minutes of prep time
- Made from accessible staple foods
- Flavorful, salty and briny
- High in protein & low in fat
- Awesome for meal prep
- Tastes great with anything
If you think you could never give up cheese or if vegan cheese isn’t available at your store, just try our easy whole food plant-based tofu feta and never look back!
- Firm tofu — the best type of tofu to make feta cheese.
- Lemon juice & vinegar — adding that lovely zing to our feta!
- Olive brine — gives this recipe a really authentic flavor.
- Nutritional yeast — for the cheesy hints!
- Spices — salt, garlic powder, dried herbs and white miso are our favorite combo!
In terms of equipment, you’ll need something to press the tofu, a medium-sized jar or container with a lid, a cutting board, a knife and measuring equipment.
How to make tofu feta cheese
Press the tofu
Packaged tofu always comes with some liquid. If you want your tofu to taste like more than just soybeans, you need to get most of that liquid out!
Draining your tofu may be enough in some instances but when it comes to a flavorful herbed vegan feta cheese, we want to go one step further.
You don’t need to buy a tofu press for this step. Instead, just grab a medium-sized kitchen appliance or a heavy book and put it on top of your paper towel-lined tofu.
Make sure your DIY press isn’t super heavy and turns your tofu into mush within minutes, just heavy enough so that it can stay there for about an hour before you continue following the recipe.
Make the marinade
Get a medium-sized airtight container or glass jar with a lid and simply put all of the ingredients for the marinade in it.
Either mix them well with a spoon or put on the lid and shake your marinade for a few seconds until it’s homogenous.
Combine & wait
Get the pressed tofu and cut it into small-ish cubes, then place them into your marinade. Make sure all tofu cubes are well-covered and ready to soak up that briny and tangy flavor!
Stir everything, then cover with a lid and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours to let the flavors do their magic! Let the tofu marinate for around 24-48 hours for best results.
Serving & Storage suggestions
When stored with an airtight lid put on, you can keep your homemade vegan feta in the fridge for around a week to enjoy at your convenience.
Tofu feta also a great addition to any vegan appetizer platter or it can be blended into a dip!
Tips for this recipe
- Add some olive oil to the marinade to make your tofu feta more authentic and richer!
- Don’t skimp on pressing the tofu — otherwise, it won’t absorb the marinade as well.
- The longer you let the feta marinade, the more flavor it will develop!
- Delicious add-ins for the marinade include fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, onion flakes and dill.
More vegan cheese recipes
We used to be huge dairy cheese lovers and have therefore created lots of fully plant-based cheese recipes which we highly recommend you try next!
Have you made our vegan tofu feta? Share with us in the comments below, make sure to rate this recipe and Pin it here!
- 1 cup firm tofu (250 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp kalamata olive brine
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp white miso (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil (optional)
- Press the water out of the tofu by placing it underneath something heavy between two sheets of paper towel for around an hour.
- Once you’re ready to make your vegan feta, take the tofu out of its DIY press and cut it into small cubes.
- Next, make the marinade by simply adding all of the ingredients except for the tofu in a medium-sized airtight container or lidded jar and mix with a spoon or shake to combine.
- Put the cubed tofu into your container with the marinade and mix with a spoon, making sure all of the cubes are covered with the liquid.
- Cover the jar or container and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to let the flavors do their magic! For best results, let the tofu marinate for around 24-48 hours before serving in a salad, with bread, pasta or pizza.
- The marinated tofu feta keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- If you cannot find white miso, you can leave it out and add a bit more salt and garlic instead for more depth in flavor.
- The olive brine gives your tofu feta a really authentic touch and is highly recommended!
- For vegan feta that’s higher in fat, you can add one tablespoon of olive oil into the marinade.
- Find lots of ideas for what to serve with this recipe in the article above!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 769mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!