Upgrade your plant-strong salad with this easy herbed vegan tofu feta! No need for dairy-based cheese to add some of that creaminess and zing to your meals, with our recipe you can always have a jar of flavorfully marinated vegan tofu in the fridge.
While some people still shy away from consuming tofu because it’s made out of soybeans, this healthy and versatile legume really deserves a daily spot on our plates!
From helping to control blood sugar to better bone health and a protective effect against certain cancers, soy is more like a superfood than anything else.
Nope, tofu does not taste like cheese or feta (although you might think so from the look of it), so you definitely need to keep your expectation in check here. We have found that when tofu is soaked in a delicious herbed marinate (preferably for over 24 hours), it’s a great replacement for feta cheese — but not like exactly “the real thing”.
But since vegans don’t eat cheese or feta made from animal products, it’s a good idea to look for tasty plant-based alternatives that make it easy to wave cheese goodbye once and for all.
Here’s what you can expect from our herbed tofu feta!
The Best Vegan Tofu Feta
- 10 minutes of prep time
- Made from accessible staple foods
- Flavorful, salty and briny
- High in protein & low in fat
- Awesome for meal prep
- Tastes great with anything
- Heart-healthy & oil-free
If you think you could never give up cheese or if vegan cheese isn’t available at your store, just try our easy whole food plant-based tofu feta and never look back!
How to Make Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese
Press the Tofu
Packaged tofu always comes with some liquid. If you want your tofu to taste like more than just soybeans, you need to get most of that liquid out — draining your tofu may be enough in some instances but when it comes to a flavorful herbed vegan feta cheese, we want to go one step further.
You don’t need to buy a tofu press for this step. Instead, just grab a medium-sized kitchen appliance or a heavy book and put it on top of your paper towel-lined tofu.
Make sure your DIY press isn’t super heavy and turns your tofu into mush within minutes, just heavy enough so that it can stay there for about an hour before you continue following the recipe.
Make the Marinade
Get a medium-sized airtight container or glass jar with a lid and simply put all of the ingredients for the marinade in it.
Either mix them well with a spoon or put on the lid and shake your marinade for a few seconds until it’s homogenous.
Combine & Wait
Get the pressed tofu and cut it into small-ish cubes, then place them into your marinade. Make sure all of the tofu cubes are well-covered and ready to soak up that briny and tangy flavor!
Give everything a stir, then cover your container or jar with a lid and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours to let the flavors do their magic! For best results, let the tofu marinate for around 24-48 hours before serving in a salad, with bread, pasta or pizza.
When stored with an airtight lid put on, you can keep your homemade vegan feta in the fridge for around a week to enjoy at your convenience.
What to Serve With Tofu Feta
More Vegan Cheese Recipes
We used to be huge dairy cheese lovers and have therefore created lots of fully plant-based cheese recipes which we highly recommend you try next!
- 1 cup firm tofu (250 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp kalamata olive brine
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp white miso (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil (optional)
- Press the water out of the tofu by placing it underneath something heavy between two sheets of paper towel for around an hour.
- Once you’re ready to make your vegan feta, take the tofu out of its DIY press and cut it into small cubes.
- Next, make the marinade by simply adding all of the ingredients except for the tofu in a medium-sized airtight container or lidded jar and mix with a spoon or shake to combine.
- Put the cubed tofu into your container with the marinade and mix with a spoon, making sure all of the cubes are covered with the liquid.
- Cover the jar or container and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to let the flavors do their magic! For best results, let the tofu marinate for around 24-48 hours before serving in a salad, with bread, pasta or pizza.
- The marinated tofu feta keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- If you cannot find white miso, you can leave it out and add a bit more salt and garlic instead for more depth in flavor.
- The olive brine gives your tofu feta a really authentic touch and is highly recommended!
- For vegan feta that’s higher in fat, you can add one tablespoon of olive oil into the marinade.
- Find lots of ideas for what to serve with this recipe in the article above!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 769mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!