Get creative with cauliflower! These “steaks” are lightly charred with bold spices. Roast in the oven and enjoy as a healthy main dish or side.
Want a new way to cook cauliflower? Well, you came to the right place. Cauliflower is our favorite versatile veggie — you can make buffalo cauliflower, cauliflower rice, and now steak!
Our recipe features lovely harissa (a fiery and garlicky chile sauce). Since cauliflower has a mild taste, it easily soaks up the umami marinade.
Why you should try it
- Mouth-watering flavors
- Low calorie
- Tender inside, crispy outside
- Simple to make
In only 5 minutes of hands-on time, you can make these succulent cauliflower steaks! You will need a cutting board, bowl, and baking sheet.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
- Cauliflower — the cruciferous vegetable acting as our “steak”!
- Harissa paste — aromatic chile paste commonly used in North Africa. It’s spicy, smoky, and tangy!
- Soy milk — levels out the bold spices in the marinade. You can use any mild-tasting vegan milk.
- Soy sauce — adds a kick of umami flavor and saltiness.
- Smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin seeds, black pepper — essential spices to enhance the harissa and add extra flavor!
Find the exact measurements and suggested swaps down below.
How to make roasted cauliflower steaks
Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C).
Mix all the marinade ingredients. We recommend a wide, shallow bowl so the cauliflower can soak the marinade evenly.
Slice cauliflower into 1.5” steaks. Some florets will inevitably fall off; you can mix them in the marinade or save for later. The steaks are created when both the stem and florets are cut in one slice.
Place each cauliflower steak in the marinade. Rub the steaks to ensure they are fully covered.
Rest steaks in marinade for 30 minutes.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the steaks in a single layer.
Bake the steaks for 30 minutes, flipping them over at the halfway mark (at 15 minutes). If you’d like them more crispy, you can place them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Enjoy alongside our herbed rice or a side salad!
Storage & reheating
You can store the cauliflower steaks in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat in a 350 ºF (180º C) oven until warmed through (about 6-8 minutes).
These flavorful harissa steaks are delicious in our roasted cauliflower bowl which features herbed rice, avocado dressing, and mixed greens. It’s a well-balanced, hearty meal perfect for dinner!
Tahini sauce is also a wonderful addition. The creaminess balances out the spiciness from the harissa.
FAQs & tips
How do I cut cauliflower into steaks?
To get a thick slab of cauliflower, start by cutting off any florets that aren’t directly above the base or stem. Then cut 1.5 inch thick slices of cauliflower — make sure you cut as evenly as possible!
Is cauliflower healthy?
Yes! Cauliflower contains fiber, vitamin C, and “health-promoting phytochemicals”. It’s also high in vitamin K, which is required for bone health.
You get the most nutrients when the cauliflower is raw, but you can bake or saute without losing many nutrients! However, you can lose minerals when boiling because they leach out into the water.
If harissa isn’t the flavor for you, you can roast these steaks with the spices you love. You can start out simple with just salt and pepper! We also love adding garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast (gives that cheesy flavor).
You can also try a BBQ marinade or traditional steak seasoning to get a “meatier” taste!
What else can I make with cauliflower?
A simple, crowd-pleasing recipe is roasted cauliflower with cheese. Vegan parm, olive oil, and some spices will do the trick!
What to do with cauliflower leaves?
Cauliflower leaves are usually forgotten, but you can make a delicious snack out of them! Season them how you like and bake for 15 minutes at 400° F (200° C). You can also check out our roasted cauliflower leaves recipe!
More dinner recipes
- 20 Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes
- 20 Vegan Cauliflower Recipes
- Healthy Vegan Lasagna
- Skinny Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Healthy Vegan Bibimbap
Did you make our cauliflower steaks and like them? We’d love to read about it, so be sure to leave a review and share it in the comments below. You can also Pin this recipe here!
For the Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 medium cauliflower head sliced into 1.5 inch pieces
For the Marinade
- 1 tbsp Harissa paste
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the marinade ingredients.
- Place the sliced cauliflower in a shallow bowl, then pour the marinade. Use your hands to rub each slice to make sure that everything is well coated. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a large baking sheet or two smaller ones, line it with parchment paper, then add the cauliflower slices and arrange them into a single layer.
- Bake the steaks for 30 minutes, flipping them over at the halfway mark (at 15 minutes). Remove them from the oven and set aside.
- If you’d like the steaks more crispy, you can place them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Alternatively, you can brush them with a little oil before going into the oven.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: ⅓ recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!