This is the healthiest vegan grilled cheese sandwich made with avocado, spinach and sprouts layered between cashew mayo and a healthy homemade cheese sauce! Make this whole food plant-based recipe for the whole family.
Do you love tasty vegan sandwiches? Then you need to try this healthy vegan grilled cheese made with wholesome ingredients.
It’s a classic comfort food turned super nutritious, loaded with crunchy and ooey-gooey textures and really moreish.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Perfect for anyone on a healthy weight loss journey or for those wanting to enjoy more veggie-rich plant-based meals, our ultimate healthy vegan grilled cheese sandwich with spinach, avocado, tofu, cashew mayo, sprouts and homemade meltable cheese offers something for everyone.
Every mouthful is just pure bliss with all of these textures and flavors coming together!
Find the exact ingredients in the recipe card below. We’ll share some adjustment ideas, too!
Get ready to create this healthy vegan grilled cheese sandwich!
How to make this vegan grilled cheese
Grill zucchini and tofu slices in a skillet for 3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes, then place them on a plate.
Make the meltable cheese following our easy 10-minute recipe or use store-bought slices.
Create the sandwiches by spreading the bottom slices with mayo, followed by folded grilled zucchini, tofu slices and 2 teaspoons of cheese sauce.
Top everything with fresh spinach, green onion, sprouts, avocado and more cheese sauce!
Close the sandwiches with a slice of bread each.
Place your skillet from earlier over medium heat again and once it’s nice and warm, add your sandwiches. No oil or vegan butter needed to make this work!
Press the sandwiches down with a spatula, then cover your skillet with a lid and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes until a golden crust has formed.
Flip the sandwiches and repeat the process, then remove them from the skillet once done.
Storage & serving
If you want to take this sandwich with you for a portable lunch, let it cool completely until it has reached room temperature. Then wrap it in parchment paper and put it in a lunch box!
You can reheat any leftovers in the toaster oven or in a pan — don’t microwave this grilled cheese.
Tips & substitutions
- Let your pan or skillet heat up before adding your sandwich to allow the fillings to become warm without your bread starting to burn.
- Place a lid on your skillet to help the cheese melt.
- If using store-bought cheese slices, your sandwiches require a longer cooking time compared to using our melted cheese sauce!
- Save time by toasting your bread and topping it with vegan mayo, cheese sauce and raw salad veggies.
- Use a toastie grill to get some deep lines on your grilled cheese sandwich!
- Use your favorite vegan bread for this grilled cheese. In the photos, you see our gluten-free buckwheat bread.
- Make sure to cover the entire slices with enough cashew mayo and cheese sauce, including all of the edges so each bite will be full of flavor.
- Depending on the size of your slices, you may need a larger quantity than what we’ve used.
You can omit the smoked tofu or use grilled tempeh instead.
Cut back on the veggie fillings if you’re not too keen on it or replace spinach with your favorite salad greens.
Here’s what else you can add!
More vegan sandwich fillings
More vegan lunch ideas
We all need some more ideas for plant-based goodness we can make once the midday munchies kick in! Try these next.
Have you tried our healthy vegan grilled cheese sandwiches and like them? Share with us in the comments below and rate our recipe! You can also Pin it here !
- Place the zucchini and tofu slices on a heated grill skillet, cook for 3 minutes, then flip over and cook for 3 more minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Lay your slices of bread side by side and spread one tablespoon of cashew mayo onto each of the three bottom slices.
- Continue layering the folded grilled zucchini and tofu slices, then drizzle with about 2 tsp of the melting cheese sauce.
- Top with fresh spinach, green onion and sprouts, then add one more tablespoon of cheese sauce and the sliced avocado.
- Close with a slice of bread and repeat until you have created three loaded green cheese sandwiches.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add the sandwiches once it is warm. We usually do this without oil, but you can add some avocado oil or vegan butter.
- Press your vegan cheese sandwiches with a spatula for a couple of seconds, then cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes until a golden crust has formed.
- Flip the cheese sandwiches and repeat the process, then remove them from the skillet, slice and serve warm.
- Use your favorite bread for this sandwich and choose from the plethora of delicious vegan sandwich fillings we listed in the article above.
- Feel free to make it an open-faced sandwich with drizzled cheese sauce!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!