This oil-free vegan brown gravy takes only 10 minutes to make and is so flavorful! Minimal ingredients are needed to create this delicious condiment that pairs well with many dishes.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Bursting with lots of savory and cozy flavors like sage, thyme, garlic and onion, our vegan gravy is quickly made in a blender with minimal ingredients or kitchen skills needed.
Better yet, this creamy sauce is completely oil-free, gluten-free and of course dairy-free, making it perfect for those who have to look out for certain ingredients in their recipes!
- Incredibly easy to make
- Ready in 10 minutes total
- Great for meal prep
- Gluten-free & oil-free
- Kid-friendly & inexpensive
Your food is begging for this delicious topping! Here’s how easy it is to make your own vegan brown gravy from scratch.
How to make vegan brown gravy
Gathering and measuring the individual ingredients is as hard as this gravy recipe gets!
The main ingredients you’ll need are:
- Corn starch
- Soy sauce
- Soy milk
- Onion & garlic powder
- Vegetable broth
- Nutritional yeast
- Thyme & sage
- Salt & pepper
You can customize this recipe to your liking by adding or removing single ingredients from this list! More on that below.
All you need to do is add them to a blender and blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.
Pour the gravy mixture into a pot and bring it to a boil on the stove while stirring frequently. Once it starts to thicken, remove it from the heat and serve your vegan brown gravy warm!
Storage & serving suggestions
Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, biscuits, vegan meatloaf or roasts. We also like it with potato wedges or fries!
Needless to say, it’s a must during any vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Especially when paired with cranberry sauce and roasted Brussels sprouts, it makes for the best vegan Thanksgiving dinner bowl!
We’ve also eaten it over rice and even pasta! It’s just that delicious and versatile.
Please be aware that the gravy thickens over time if you store your leftovers in the fridge. Simply add it back into a pot and warm it up with an additional splash of water, broth or soy milk.
If you can’t have soy, use a different dairy-free milk and coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
To make your vegan brown gravy richer, add vegan butter or oil to the mixture before blending!
Spice it up by adding vegan Worcestershire sauce, poultry seasoning, rosemary or mustard.
More vegan condiments
If you like our quick vegan brown gravy, be sure to check out the following oil-free vegan condiments next!
- Low-Fat Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Herbed Tofu Ranch Dressing
- Sugar-Free Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
- Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
Did you make our quick vegan brown gravy and liked it? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below and don’t forget to Pin this article here.
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup soy milk, unsweetened (120 ml)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup vegetable broth (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar. Blend until smooth to obtain a brown, creamy liquid.
- Transfer your gravy mixture to a medium-sized saucepan and place it over medium heat. Bring it to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Turn down the heat and let the gravy simmer until it thickens and achieves a creamy texture.
- Transfer into a jug and serve warm!
- Make your vegan gravy richer by adding a splash of oil, teaspoon of nut butter or some vegan butter to it.
- This gravy thickens as it cools so you need to reheat it with a splash of water or soy milk when reheating on the stove!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!