Looking for a healthy, easy and filling dinner? This hummus pasta with green veggies is ready in under 30 minutes, really hearty and protein-packed.
We recently discovered the magical combination of hummus and pasta. Yes, we might be late to the party, but we just had to share this with you here!
Vibrantly green hummus sauce that’s made in seconds in the blender is smothered with cooked pasta and any sautéed veggies of your choice.
free 7-day vegan meal plan
Your next week of eating is planned out with these quick and delicious vegan bowls, meal prepping steps & full grocery list.
Similar to our high-protein pesto pasta, this recipe makes for a creamy, healthy and satisfying plant-based meal that you can eat over a couple of days and customize to your liking.
It’s a lazy 30-minutes-or-less weeknight dinner, and with a few simple tricks, which we’ll share below, you can even skip a few steps and throw everything together in about 15 minutes!
Recipe overview & features
- Easy, lazy weeknight dinner
- Creamy protein-packed hummus sauce
- Vibrantly green & nutritious
- Balanced plant-based meal
- Budget-friendly & gluten-free
- Ready to eat in under 30 minutes
- Great for meal prep & leftovers
This recipe can be customized to your liking and is suitable for many different ways of eating! Plus, it can be enjoyed hot or cold.
- Pasta or noodles — we like spaghetti or soba noodles the most for this dish.
- Green veggies — our recipe uses broccoli, zucchini, asparagus and avocado, but you can pick any other veggies, too.
- Hummus — use store-bought for a super quick meal or follow our directions!
- Spinach, arugula & spices — the hummus will be transformed thanks to these into a delicious creamy sauce.
These are the main ingredients for our vegan hummus pasta. Find suggested swaps below!
How to make hummus pasta
Cook your pasta
If you don’t work with leftover cold pasta for this recipe, cook any pasta or noodles (we like spaghetti and soba noodles) according to package directions.
Once they are al-dente, drain and set aside. Be sure to save some of the cooking water!
Cook the veggies
Wash and chop the veggies you want to serve with your hummus pasta. Sauté them in a medium-sized pan with water or olive oil for around 10 minutes until they are cooked but still a bit crunchy.
Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Make the hummus sauce
Add all ingredients for the hummus sauce into a blender and blend until you’ve created a smooth and homogeneous mixture.
Adjust to your taste preference and add a splash of water if you want your sauce to be runnier.
Assemble your dish
Divide the cooked pasta, veggies and sauce between serving bowls. Garnish with avocado slices, drizzle with lemon juice and serve warm.
Storage & reheating
This plant-based meal works well for meal prep or to use up any leftovers! You can store the components separately or together in a sealed container for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Take it with you for a quick lunch and eat it as a cold noodle salad or warm it up on the stovetop or in the microwave for a short time. You might need to add a splash of water when doing so, as the hummus sauce can thicken up!
You can even freeze this hummus pasta for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for a few hours and reheat.
FAQs & tips
Save more time
This recipe works well with any leftover cooked pasta! Just sautée your veggies and add the cold pasta towards the end to warm it up for 1-2 minutes.
Make this a one-pot hummus pasta by cooking the veggies alongside your dry noodles in a pot for 6-8 minutes, then drain the water and stir in the hummus.
If you don’t have a blender, simply add the hummus and drained water to the pot with cooked pasta and veggies. Season to your liking, give it a good stir and enjoy!
Other veggies & spices
This veggie pasta dish tastes excellent with bell pepper, cauliflower, sun-dried tomatoes, grape tomatoes, green beans, peas or mushrooms.
Add olives, caramelized onions or replace hummus with roasted beet dip for a slightly different flavor.
Increase protein & fat
Use legume-based pasta for this recipe and throw some extra chickpeas, peas or edamame beans into the pot to increase the protein content of this dish!
Sauté your veggies in olive oil and add extra oil or cashew cream to your hummus sauce to increase the healthy fats.
More easy dinner recipes
If you enjoyed this green veggie pasta recipe, be sure to try some of the following goodness next.
- Vegan Chow Mein Noodles
- One-Pot Pasta Marinara
- Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
- Quinoa Pasta Salad
- Healthy Mac and Cheese
Did you make our hummus pasta and like it? We’d love to read about it, so be sure to leave a review and share it in the comments below. You can also Pin this recipe here!
- 6 oz soba noodles, dry (170 g)
- 1 medium broccoli head, cut into tiny florets
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 asparagus spears, chopped
- ½ avocado, cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Green Hummus Sauce
- ¾ cup hummus (185 g)
- ½ cup pasta water (120 ml)
- ¼ cup walnuts, halved (25 g)
- 1 cup spinach, chopped (30 g)
- 1 cup arugula, chopped (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions. Once they are done, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan and add the broccoli, zucchini, onion and asparagus with a splash of water or olive oil.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooked but still textured. Season with ground black pepper and salt.
- Add all ingredients for the hummus sauce to a blender and blend to obtain a smooth, vibrantly green sauce. Adjust to taste preferences.
- Once all the components are ready, divide them between serving bowls and garnish with avocado slices. Enjoy!
- Any leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Enjoy them cold or reheat with a splash of water at your convenience.
- You can use any pasta or veggies of your choice for this recipe.
- If you’re short on time, simply add the hummus, half the pasta water and any spices you like to the cooked noodles and veggies in the pot. Give it a good stir and enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: ⅓ recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 426mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 20gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated automatically, their accuracy is not guaranteed. Just focus on whole plant-based foods and eat until satiety!