These pumpkin muffins are sure something special! A cozy blend of warming spices all wrapped up in a wholesome muffin, what more could you want?
As the weather is turning for crisp and cool to downright cold, I find my body craving more warm comforting foods. While many comfort foods are loaded with ingredients that tend to weigh you down, these vegan muffins are made with nutritious ingredients that will nourish your body and fulfill that craving.
These muffins are sweetened ever so slightly to and will keep you satisfied without sending your body into a surge of sugar havoc. The sweetness comes from apple puree and a little coconut sugar to add a depth of caramelized flavor.
I absolutely love serving these warm, slathered with almond butter and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon. I would also recommend a dollop of maple cashew cream or serve alongside some yogurt (dairy-free optional) topped with cinnamon and hemp seeds for a more filling option.
Have you ever made your own vegan muffins? How do you like this recipe and did some of your non-vegan peers eat them? Share with us in the comments below and feel free to rate this recipe.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can substitute spelt flour or gluten-free blend)
- 5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp clove
- ½ tsp allspice (optional)
- 1 ⅛ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup cashew milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C). In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix together well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. (Careful not to over mix!)
- Evenly fill your non-stick muffin tin with the mixture.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven for 20-23 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make gluten-free pumpkin muffins, simply substitute with gluten-free flour.
- Instead of cashew milk, you can choose any plant-based milk you want to.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g
Jessica is the founder of Nourished by Nutrition. She has a BS in Nutrition and Dietetics and is currently in her dietetic internship and working on getting her Masters Degree in Nutrition Therapy. She is an advocate for staying fit and finding a source of movement you truly love. Jessica spends most of her free time in the kitchen, playing with her two pups, or curled up on the couch with a good book and a cup of warm tea.
She believes healthy is a lifestyle that encompasses whole living and balance in all aspect of life, with nutritious food being the foundation. Jessica focuses on predominantly nutrient-dense, plant-based recipes that are designed to leave you feeling amazing. You can check out Nourished by Nutrition here, and follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter.